Judge F. Frederick Kennedy, Jr. Scholarship Fund
Judge F. Frederick Kennedy, Jr. Scholarship Fund
Scholarship-application-2014 This scholarship fund has been established in memory of Judge F. Frederick Kennedy, Jr. by his wife, Mrs. Evelyn M. Kennedy in the form of a gift to First Baptist Church. First Baptist Church determined that 5% of the Kennedy funds should be made available each year to applicants for the education of Christian students.
- Preference shall be given to members of First Baptist Church of Augusta, Georgia who actively participate in First Baptist Church programs.
- The applicant must be a graduating high school senior with at least a “B”/3.0 grade average. Exception will be given to NEEDS BASED applicants who must have a minimum of a 2.5 grade average.
- The applicant must be accepted into an accredited college/university or other institute of higher learning and must be enrolled in a degree granting program.
- The applicant must be a full-time student.
- The applicant must be HOPE Scholarship eligible at all times during the term of the Kennedy Scholarship except for the Georgia residency requirement. Exception will be given to NEEDS BASED applicants who must have a minimum of a 2.5 grade average.
- If the applicant has completed previous college/university level course work the applicant must have at least a 3.0 grade average based on a 4.0 point system and be HOPE Scholarship eligible. Exception will be given to NEEDS BASED applicants who must have a minimum of a 2.5 grade average based on a 4.0 point system.
- Submission of a completed application packet by the announced deadline. To determine if all application materials have been received, you may email the chairman of the Kennedy Scholarship Committee whose address is listed at the bottom of this page.
NEEDS BASED Applicants:
- A maximum of four (4) needs based students per year.
- The amount of the award will be up to three times (3x) amount of other scholarship participants in any given year.
- Needs based students must have a minimum 2.5 GPA at time of application and must maintain the 2.5 GPA in order to be eligible as a returning student for a maximum of four (4) years of support from the Kennedy Scholarship program for an accredited college or university and two (2) years from an accredited technical school.
- The needs assessment will be based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aide (FAFSA) application process completed at the institution the student plans to attend. A copy of the letter from the financial aid department of the institution must be submitted to the Kennedy Scholarship Committee along with other required documents as listed on the application.
First time applicants:
- Complete the application packet and include a photo.
- Attach an essay of 300 to 500 words based on one of three topics found in the application packet. The essay must be an original, type written, double spaced document.
- Complete the information, listing projected cost of the yearly educational experiences and other forms of financial assistance.
- Have an official (to be official it must be in the sealed original envelope or e-transcript from the school to the Scholarship Committee Chair) copy of your high school/college transcript sent directly to the Scholarship Committee of First Baptist Church. (First Baptist Church, P. O. Box 14489, Augusta, GA 30919-0489)
- Submit a copy of the “Personal Reference Form (Member of First Baptist Church of Augusta)” found in the application materials. The form must be submitted directly to the Scholarship Committee of First Baptist Church of Augusta.
- Submit all forms, letters, and transcripts to the Scholarship Committee on or before the March 15th deadline for graduating high school seniors and on or before the July 1st deadline for repeat recipient applicants. High School graduates who will be first time college attendees or those who have not previously received the Kennedy Scholarship must submit all materials on or before the March 15th deadline.
- The final list of applicants will be submitted to the Student Ministry Advisory Council of First Baptist Church for classification as “active in First Baptist programs”, “marginal participant” or “unknown to Student Ministry Advisory Council”.
A new “Repeat Recipient Application Form” will be required each year with all supporting documentation as listed on the application form.
The repeat applicant must be HOPE Scholarship eligible and be a full-time student. Exception will be given to NEEDs BASED applicants of repeat recipients who must have a minimum of a 2.5 grade average.
- The committee may require a personal interview.
- The committee reserves the right to review any unusual applications for scholarship funds.
- The committee reserves the right to grant funds to deserving individuals or groups who do not meet the specific requirements list above.
Questions may be addressed to: Robert Strickland, chair, Kennedy Scholarship Committee Rob Stricland